Bearcat Diner Announcements
New! Parent Newsletters
Eat Your Fruits & Veggies
In 2013-2014 the Bearcat Diner received a Grant through the USDA to provide fresh fruits and vegetables to students at Bryant, Central and Emerson Elementary Schools as a daily snack.
Did you know that...
• Unlike most fruits, pears ripen better off the tree.
• Figs provide more fiber than any other common fruit or vegetable.
• British sailors used to be called "Limeys" because they ate citrus fruits to prevent scurvy on long sea voyages.
• Some Chinese varieties of peaches are flat like donuts.
• Strawberries are the only fruit that have their seeds on the outside.
• Bell peppers can be green, red, yellow, orange or purple.
• Yams and sweet potatoes are not the same.
• Many of the nutrients in a potato are located just below the skin.
• Hawaii is the leading producer of bananas in the U.S.
• Lychee trees can live for more than 100 years.
• The first carrots were white, purple and yellow.
• Ancient Greeks awarded celery to winners of sports events.
• Broccoflower is a cross between cauliflower and broccoli. It has more vitamin C than oranges and more vitamin A than either broccoli or cauliflower.
The Bearcat Diner Mission Statement
The purpose of Kearney Public School's Bearcat Diner is to prepare and serve nutritious and appealing meals that meet the dietary guidelines to students, staff, and community in a positive, cheerful manner, while maintaining financial soundness, and contributing to the quality and excellence of a student's education experience.
This explains what to do if you believe you have been treated unfairly. "In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability.
To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (voice). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer."
Bearcat Diner Office Location & Phone Number
Wellness is a community effort! FitFuture is an exciting new wellness newsletter developed by NUTRIKIDS to help us team up with parents to promote good nutrition. Each issue is packed with practical information and advice to get parents excited about what our nutrition program does for them and what they can do for their families.
Number of hits: 8512